The aim of the course ”History and Philosophy of Astrobiology: The Origin of Life” is to give participants a thorough overview of the historical, philosophical and ethical questions arising in this field. It is co-organised by the Nordic Network of Astrobiology and the EU COST Action "Origins and Evolution of Life on Earth and in the Universe". The course is open for students and scientists in humanities, natural, social and political sciences. Participants other than students and early career scientists from countries participating in the EU COST Action "Origins and Evolution of Life on Earth and in the Universe" can also apply, but will have to find their own funding. the course will, amongst others deal with the following themes:
- Definition of life in a historical and philosophical context
- Biochemical evolution
- The tree of evolution
- Search for life outside Earth
- Philosophical, ethical and political questions arising with the quest for life on other celestial bodies
A multitude of highly merited researchers have agreed to teach at the course (see the Programme page for details. The deadline for application is 15 January 2015 23:59:00 UTC.
A preliminary programme of the summer course can be downloaded as an .doc file here.
Fees for accommodation and meals
There are no registrayion fees charged for the course. Participants, will, however have to fund their own travel, accommodation and meals. The package rates for the participants are
- SEK 4715,- for accommodation in a shared house for 4 (one room with 2 separated beds downstairs and two seperated beds upstairs) with en-suite facilities
- SEK 5933,- for accommodation in a shared house for 2(one room downstairs and one bed upstairs) with en-suite facilities
- SEK 7433,- for accommodation in a single house with en-suite facilities
The course packages cover
- Accommodation in shared houses for 4 (2 floors) with en-suite facilities from 3 May evening to 7 May 2015 morning
- Breakfasts, Coffee breaks, lunches and dinners from 3 May 2015 evening to 7 May 2015 morning
- Excursion around Ven and visit to Tycho Brahe Museum and other sights
- Farewell dinner
- Course material
The fees have to be paid by bank transfer in advance to the vebnue. People will be informed about payment modalities after registration. For registration, selected participants are requested to send the registration form sent to them by the course organiser back to him (email: email@example.com) before March 31st 2015.
Selected participants from universities located in countries taking part in the COST Action "Origin and Evolution of Life on Earth and in the Universe" will get a refund, which is as follows:
- Selected participants from universities located in the following countries are entitled to a flat refund of EUR 500,- for travel, lodging and meals expenses: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK.
- Selected participants from universities located in the following countries are entitled to a flat refund of EUR 700,- for travel, lodging and meals expenses: Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia
Unfortunately, there will be no funds available for participants from countries not taking part in the EU COST Action "Origin and Evolution of Life on Earth and in the Universe".A link to the website of he Action is found here.
Participants other than students and early career scientists from countries participating in the EU COST Action "Origins and Evolution of Life on Earth and in the Universe" can also apply, but will have to find the finncial means for attending on their own. If you want to apply for funding from other sources, we strongly recommend you to do so well before the application deadline. It might be too late to ask for funds after the decision of the evaluation committee.
Members of one of the working groups the EU COST Action "Origin and Evolution of Life on Earth and in the Universe", who are neither students nor young scientists can attend the course on their own expenses, if places are available after selection of the participants. In this case, ssuch places wilol be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
Herein it is the location of the institution, and not the nationality of the applicant that counts. An updated list of countries taking part in the COST Action can be found .
Accepted participants will be informed about refund formalities after 15 January 2015. Please note that they will only get refunded after the course.
Venue and Access
Please refer to the webpage for all information
The deadline for application is 15 January 2015 23:59:00 UTC. Please refer to the webpage for application procedures. Successful applicants will be notified in the last 2 weeks of July.
For all enquiries please contact the course organiser, Wolf Geppert, preferably by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (++46-8-55378649). Please also refer to the practical infos and the other information webpages. Most necessary information is likely to be found there.
Välkommen till Ven !