Registration will be possible
- on Sunday 16th July 14:00 - 19:00 at Hotel Dorpat
- on Monday 17 July 08:00 - 09:00 at the Estonian Biocentre, Riia 26b (summer school venue)
- during coffee breaks at the school at the Estonian Biocentre
The course "Formation of complex molecules in space and on planets - From interstellar clouds to life" will take place from 17 to 22 July 2017 at the University of Tartu. It aims to give students an overview of the biochemical evolution in the universe from formation of the first molecules in interstellar clouds to the assembly of the first cells on Earth. The course consists of lectures
and student-led discussions. Participants will also have the possibility to
display their own research results in two poster sessions.The
Stockholm University Astrobiology Centre, the
University of Tartu, the European Astrobiology Campus, and the Nordic Network of Astrobiology will function as co-organisers of the
course and the following subjects will be covered by the lectures:
- Formation of the elements in space
- Chemical processes in dark clouds, star-forming regions and protoplanetary disks
- Atmpspheric processes in rocky, gaseous planets and their satelites
- Emergence of Homochirality
- Formation of complx molecules in hydrothermal systems
- From carbon molecules to biogenic activity
- Assembly of first cells
Participants will also have the possibility to display
their own research results in a poster session. Furthermore, a hhalf-day excursion to
interesting sites in the area (Ice Age Museum, Lake Peipus) and aalk in Tartu are included as a social programme.
The event is aimed for graduate (masters and
Ph. D.) students and early career scientists (up to 8 years after their
first Ph. D. in a related field) in fields relevant to astrochemistry and
astrobiology. The event is open to applicants from all nationalities.
Detailed information about the summer school and the application procedure
(deadline 31 May 2017) can be found here.
Please see the Application
page for details about the application.
The following course fees apply (prices in EUR):
Course fees cover
European Astrobiology Campus (EAC) institutions are Stockholm University, Open university and the Universities of Porto, Bordeaux, Tartu, Vilnius, Tallinn, Utrecht, Iceland ant Turku. Eligible and selected participants from EAC institutions are also entitled to a travel refund up to EUR 360,- (dependent on the distance from their home institutions to Tartu).
- Dinners and lunches and coffee breaks from 16 July 2017 evening to 22 July 2017 evening (i.e. also the welcome barbeque and the farewell dinner).
- Served breakfasts for people living at the Hotel Dorpat. For the people at Academus Hostel breakfast will be served at Kotka Kelder (situated in the same building).
- Excursions and exercises
- Course material
Lectures and poster sessions will take
place in the Estonian Biocentre at Tartu University, Riia 26b, EE - 50411, Tartu. Please see the Venue
& Access page for details.
The following lecturers will give presentations at the
Herma Cuppen, University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands (to be confirmed)
Ernesto di Mauro, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Daniele Galli, Astrophysical Observatory of Arcetri, Italy
Linda McGown, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA
Tom J. Millar, Queen's University, Belfast, UK
Hans Olofsson, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
Steen Rasmussen, University of Southern Denmark, DK
Søren Toxværd, Roskilde University, DK
Veronique Vuitton, Université Grenoble-Alpes, France
Sofia Wallström, Academica Sinica, Taiwan
Catherine Walsh, Leeds University, UK
David A. Williams, University College London, UK
Geppert, Stockholm University Astrobiology Centre,
The event will be organised by the Nordic
Network of Astrobiology.
Dr. Wolf Geppert from Stockholm University will serve as the main
contact person. The organisers are looking forward to welcoming you at the
course. See you in Tartu in July 2017!
Deadline for application is the 31 May 2017.Please see the Application
page for details about the application.
Tere tulemast Eestisse!